Purpose: The Parish Pastoral Council is a recognised leadership structure that is mandated by the bishop, and confirmed by Canon Law.
The Council was set up in October 2002 to facilitate and enable the work of each member of the community, and the work of parish groups, for the sake of the parish.
It is there to listen to what parishioners identify as the needs of the parish, to reflect on them, to try and chart the best way forward to meet those needs, and to facilitate in whatever way it can other people and other groups in fulfilling them.
The Pastoral Council:
- Will endeavour to build a vibrant parish community that includes all parishioners.
- Provides a structure and opportunity for priests and people to share responsibility for the mission of the parish.
- Is about priests and people working together, sharing their wisdom, and listening carefully to the needs of the parishioners so that our parish is one where the gifts and talents of all combine to enable us to grow in the love of God.
- Seeks to work with all parish groups and parishioners to further the development and growth of our parish community.
- Acts as a facilitator and co-ordinator of all the vibrant elements of our parish life.
- Helps to assess areas of need in the parish and considers sensitive strategies to meet these needs, where possible.
The members of the council have a strong sense of the parish and in acting for its overall good. They have concern for all parishioners and have a keen interest in planning for the future of Allen Parish.
Activities: the following are some of the activities of the group:
- Organisation of the parish mission in autumn 2003 (and the distribution of the mission programme to every household, the provision of meals and accommodation to mission personnel, etc).
- Setting up the pre-baptism programme for parents desiring baptism for their children.
- Following renovation of the Church of the Holy Trinity, Allen, preparation of the bishop's Mass on its re-dedication in November 2003.
- Organising two pilgrimages to Lourdes.
- Organising the bringing together of readers and Eucharistic ministers and the drawing up of rotas.
- Organising the provision of music in the churches.
- Updating the list of parishioners.
- Design, printing and distribution of the parish calendar.
- Organising events surrounding the Year of the Eucharist in 2005.
Members of the Parish Pastoral Council include:
Fr Willie Byrne PP
Fr Eddie Kavanagh CC
Allen: Catherine Murphy, Ronan Ashe
Allenwood: Patricia Durkan, Wilfie Cronin
Milltown: Catherine Wall, Noreen Smith
Robertstown: Miriam Lyons, Mark McDermott